Friday, April 29, 2011

Update: 9:00am on 4/29

It's been a long but productive week, Forrest. With just Austin and me here, we couldn't get to the blog earlier. So I apologize to your many faithful followers for the delay in posting. The storms have exhausted you and the medication adjustments are challenging. Your Team was running on fumes literally stumbling through the days. Then our prayers were answered and you reached out to us. On Wednesday, your trembling hand moved with clear deliberation to touch mine. At first, I was afraid I wanted it so badly that I must have dreamed it. In most of our lives, such a simple thing might have been overlooked, inconsequential. But for us, that human touch… the mutual connection between a mother and a son is monumental.


Even with all the days and nights, weeks, now months I have been at your side, I cannot really imagine how hard, how painful and frightening this has been for you. I watch you struggle to swallow, battle the tremors and push yourself to lift two fingers for your therapist. I can't let myself think about where you should be, at home with your friends, getting all excited about graduation, planning your summer and starting college.


Instead, I think about where you were last week and how far you have come in just the last few days. Each day now you regain a little more of your lost ground. Each day brings another miracle, another reason to celebrate your progress… Yesterday, I sat holding my breath when your therapist put a red marker in your hand and with a huge smile said, "let's play tic tac toe." She drew the hatch mark on the white board and held it up on the tray of your wheel chair. Never one to let a challenge go by, you pushed through a tremor and got that marker on the white board twice. Although your X's were a little shaky, you were determined and your strategy was sound. Next time you'll be strong enough to finish the game and might just beat her!

With love, faith and hope, Mum

Quote of the day: "If you can lift just one finger, you can change your world." Mum


Forrest in the tilt table



















Forrest and some of his pictures














Holding up two fingers

16 comments:

  1. Your post made me weep and smile at the same time. My heart soared with joy at Forrest's progress. To know he reached out and touched you is incredibly poignant. I hope your heart and spirit is nourished by this week's accomplishments. I can see a slight soft grin on Forrest's face as he works with his therapist. Never under estimate the power of a pretty girl to get Forrest motivated...:) Forrest is making his way back, I can see it and feel it. You are all always in our family's thoughts and prayers.

    Abby Laughlin and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Forrest!!!!!

    When you are up to it, you have a personal invitation to visit Kingswood! We would love to have you :)

    Take care and be well!!
    Sara Wipfler

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew there was good reason for you all to be away from the blog--too many other important demands. Wish so very much I was there to maybe lighten your burden. Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been sending continous, fervent prayers up because I was sure Forrest and the entire Team 44 were pushing to a major break through. God is GOOD! Prayers are being answered and you will all be back home whole, together and better than ever...in God's time which is not always ours...but is always the right time! Congratulations Forrest! Sending prayers of health, strength and patience as you all continue on this healing journey together. Take care and keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you continue to try so hard Forrest and it is paying off, slowly and surely. What a precious gift of touch you gave to your mom. I am so glad to get news. I feel like I should be there helping too. You are all so amazing... Keep strong, I know you will and I know you will have more breakthroughs soon. Love you all. Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rae, I'm so glad Forrest reached out and touched you! What a sweet blessing from God! Keep up the good work, Team 44, and Forrest, keep only good thoughts in your head,about the progress you are making once again!

    Love, Joyce and Wilbur

    ReplyDelete
  7. FORREST - THAT WAS SO AWESUME OF YOU USING ALL YOUR STRENGTH TO REACH OUT TO YOU MOM!! HOW GRRAT HONEY. AND RAE - I THINK I KNOW WHAT THAT QUIET MOMENT MUST HAVE DONE FOR YOU - AND KENT, AUSTIN, ALL TEAM 44 - AND FOR US ALL. FORREST YOU ARE SUCH A HARD WORKER; REMINDS ME OF YOUR GRANPA DOC. HARD WORK AND 'AWESUME' RUNS IN YOUR FAMILY!!I'M SO PROUND OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!! I LOVE YOU HONEY. XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, simply beautiful.
    Forrest, we are so proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  9. "if you have faith as small as a mustard seed...Nothing will be impossible for you."
    With faith, all is possible.

    Keep going Forrest, you are so brave, so courageous and inspiring. Tic tac toe nothing, you'll be teaching them chess in no time! Keep the faith! anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love you guys, we hardly know you but we follow you and pray for you all every day. Your family has been there for us and we will always be there for you. God IS Good, and we believe that He will bring Forrest back to you! What an inspiration, how you have shown us all that love has NO BOUNDS. What a gift! Bless you all...
    David and Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forrest and Team 44
    We are so happy to hear the great news! We wait with you for more progress as you make your way back to your great family.
    Love and prayers,
    The Selfes

    ReplyDelete
  12. God bless you, Forrest and Team 44. You are in our prayers and sending you God's healing light.
    The Drexels

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such encouraging news from Team 44! Love to all of you. Prayers for more healing this week!

    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is difficult to know what to say to so much love and devotion. But Forrest, I can say with certainty that no son, brother, nephew, friend, young man is loved more than you. You are the light of your family's world and I pray that you will continue to fight and find your way back to them again. I also pray for your brain to heal, for your tremors and storms to cease and for your soul to thrive in the warmth of your family's constant love and care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! Simply Amazing! Forrest, you continue to amaze us all with your strength and determination! Keep it up - we want you back! Rae, Austin and the rest of Team 44 - you are all such a source of strength and inspiration - we are truly in awe of your unfailing love and commitment - you are very special people indeed. God Bless you all!
    Love,
    The Rafferty Family

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Forrest,

    I have not forgotten you, sorry if I intentionally did not follow the blog for weeks, that is because every time I read and think about you and your family it really hurts and i sob in tears ( as I am now).
    I love your blog specially your Mum's postings. You and your family are teaching us a lot about life. We pray for you and always think of you. Love you Forr! Get well soon.

    Hazel and James

    ReplyDelete