Monday, March 7, 2011

Update: 4:00pm on 3/7

Intro from Austin: On Saturday one of his best friends since childhood, Nick Weeden, came to visit him. I was actually gone this past weekend and was sad that I wasn't able to see Nick. I asked Forrest today if he remembered seeing Nick and he said he did, though he also named other friends from home that he thought he hung out with. It's important to keep in mind that he is still confused at this stage and that his post traumatic amnesia still comes and goes. That being said, he is making progress and the bits and pieces of his memory are slowly fitting together, it may take awhile before huge improvements occur. It's terrific and inspiring that he has such strong friendships with his amazingly dedicated friends.

Update from Nick:
Where to begin. Twenty-four hours after taking off for Atlanta, I feel like so much has happened. I’ve eaten at four different fast food restaurants, felt like my plane was about to crash, and of course, hung out with my best friend all day. When I walked into Forrest’s room on Saturday night I wasn’t really sure what to expect. The last time I had seen him was at the hospital in Charlottesville; there, I had been able to make eye contact with him but that was about it. But down in Atlanta, I was blown away. It was just like any old break walking down to his basement to hang out; I walk in, a huge grin appears on Forrest’s face, we do our usual handshake/bro hug type thing, and then we catch up about everything from lacrosse, to spring break. To sum it all up, it was great to finally be able to catch up with my best friend after way too long of a time.

Come Sunday, we had an action packed day. We started by building a Star Wars Lego. However, we decided that was not nearly competitive enough for Forrest and I, so we settled on the card game “War”. In all my years playing War, I have never tied someone. Honestly, I just thought it wasn’t possible. But somehow, Forrest and I ended up tying twice. After our cards, we went to get some lunch with everybody and Forrest gave me the tour of the Hospital. Unfortunately most everything was closed on Sundays, but looking in, Forrest seems to have some pretty nice facilities down there, including a huge pool and gym. People complain about hospital food, but I enjoyed my chicken tenders thoroughly and Forrest seemed to like his Mac and Cheese.
After lunch, Forrest and I got to play a little lacrosse in the hallways; we even got Rodney (his one-on-one tech that day) a stick to toss around with too. Anyone who knows Forrest and I will agree when I say that one of our favorite activities is posting up on the couch in Forrest’s basement, watching tv, and playing video games. Knowing my visit couldn’t be complete without these two crucial activities, after lacrosse, we made it back to his room, relaxed, and watched some Werewolf movie. Unfortunately, we did not have an X-box, but I am bringing it next time for sure. After the movie, I had to head on out to catch my plane, but not before a little target practice with the Nerf Gun. Just like when we played paintball, Forrest destroyed me in our accuracy contest.

Forrest is doing very well and recovering every day. It was incredible to see the amount of letters, posters, and cards sent to him. His room is truly unbelievable and I know he appreciates everything you all send him. I am so glad I went down there and can’t wait to go back. Keep doing what you’re doing bro; we are all thinking about you.
-Nick

After the nerf contest














Lucky treat: lunch in the cafeteria (Rodney, Nick, Mom, Forrest)














Playing "war"














Oh you know, just lax-ing it up in the hallway (lacrosse)
















6 comments:

  1. Hey Forrest! I am so happy to follow your continued awesome progress. Amazing to see you tossing the lacrosse ball around. Everything will come with time, and the support of your amazing family and friends. Keep up the great work, buddy. We continue to send prayers and positive thoughts constantly for your full recovery. Big Hugs to you and Team Forrest! Xo, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about withdrawal. NO blog for three days left us all wondering what is going on.

    Glad Nick got to be with you.
    We have a couple of horrible knock knock jokes.

    Knock Knock
    Whos there

    Forrest

    Forrest Who

    Foreest of your life you will remember this.

    Knock Knock
    Whos there?

    Rae

    Rae Who?

    Rae Rae Hooray!

    Hope to be able to visit you next month on April 6 or 7

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. So neat that can play LAX in the hall there. You are looking fantastic, Forrest! You should be very proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were having withdrawals too! Debra kept telling us "no news is good news" but we were worrying anyway. Patience is a virtue, though, b/c this recent update is the BEST ever! We love seeing that big smile on Forrest's face...keep up the great work Team Forrest. We'll all be home together before you know it.

    Lots of Love,

    Jack & Carmen
    jackandcarmen.blogspot.com (yes, we copied you)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone, It sounds like you had a great weekend! I,too, was missing your blog! I've got two I'm following, and both of them had nothing on them!

    Forrest, glad you got to see another good friend. It sounds like you had a ball together.

    I'm flying out to Mesa, Az. today to visit my sister, Bev, for 2 weeks. Wilbur gets to stay home and keep the pets! Actually, he would be bored to death with what we do when we're together!! Shopping!!!!!

    Gotta go.

    Love and Prayers, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics!! Love that orange hat Forrest! Keep up your hard work buddy!

    ReplyDelete