Friday, February 11, 2011

Update: 11:30pm on 2/11

Forrest played catch today! He and I have been working on it for several days. It started with us rolling a ball across the table, then to him dropping it to me. Then today, when I stood on the other side of his room and asked him to throw it, he chucked it 10' to me! Mom, Aunt Trish and I had a circle going with each of us catching balls he threw to us. He even caught it a few times, he's still working on the coordination, but his competitive spirit is still going strong. Another exciting announcement is that over the last few days he's been working on standing up during therapy. He has a lot of assistance and support from his therapists, but it's the first step in him regaining his strength and balance.

We've been talking a lot about his connection to diving. Today I showed him the "Ok" dive signal, along with "shaka," a hawaiian hand sign that means "hang loose" that he and I use to point out something awesome on a dive. He used both several times afterward. We'll have to see if he uses them in context, but they come naturally to him and he may use them in the days to come to help communicate with us.

Thanks Chris for the "Forrest" shirts. I'm glad you wanted to show your support, but I have to say how glad we are again for you and your father in law's assistance to Forrest on the day of the accident. You kept people from moving him, kept him warm, and protected him until EMT's reached him on the slopes. We can't thank you enough for you being Forrest's Good Samaritans in his time of need.

Forrest remains stable, he's on new sleep meds that are helping him sleep better at night. He's becoming stronger and is occasionally trying to lift himself out of bed. He has a seatbelt across the bed that only the nurses have keys to, but the danger is in him aggravating his L1 spine fracture. Therefore he now has to wear his hard brace in bed, which he's less than happy about because it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. But while he's in a wiggle worm phase (yes I made that up it's not a real phase) the focus has to be on protecting his back and head. He continues to improve and tomorrow will be eating a trial breakfast of some pureed food.

Love,
Austin and Family

Forrest vertical

7 comments:

  1. Austin,

    You never cease to amaze me! What an incredibly awesome big brother you are. Thanks so much to ALL of Team Forrest for keeping us up-to-date on Forrest's miraculous progress. Every day, people from all over the country ask me about "44". His fan club (and yours)just keeps growing and growing.

    The bird folks at DJ Feathers, and Dr. Stahl and his staff all send their love, prayers and support.

    All the best from the Kenny Family~Debra, Richard, Kody, Kaylee, Kiki and Kylie...and of course, as always, Jack & Carmen too!

    p.s. I can hardly wait until tomorrow morning to read MORE good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Every day, such big strides! Thank you so much for keeping us updated. You've even gotten "happy tears" out of me a few times. Go, Forrest, go!
    Stopped by the office yesterday to drop off Caroline's Team Forrest package. She had the same idea as someone else, apparently, but, hey, the more the merrier! Got to give Kent a hug and meet the ultra-adorable Sundance (not that Kent isn't ultra-adorable, too). That dog has the cutest face and demeanor!
    No big news in the neighborhood, except we are all awaiting the return of Spring and of Forrest.
    Keep up the great work, big guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forrest, I look forward each day to reading of your remarkable progress. You're my hero! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rae, Kent, Austin, and especially Forrest,

    What great news from the last few blogs. Wonderful progress, and almost best of all is that your team, (and the compulsive blog readers, by extention)are seeing the real Forrest emerge--competitive--massive smile--great sense of humor--animal lover--The essential Forrest is there, and obviously keeping everyone on their toes. This is an adventure you most definitely would have preferred to have skipped--but what a story. It proves man's(especially Forrest's and his team's )resilience to the worst possible adversity. Jim and I are awed at your persistence, determination, and love.

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you daily. Stay strong.

    All love, gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Allen: I have been following this blog and your son's progress for the few weeks. Although I did not know Forrest personally, I can tell from the blog posts and comments from others that he is a fighter and only fighters win. My family and I will keep on praying for his recovery.

    Kevin Keegan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Team Forrest!

    Hope things are going well today. Forrest, good work on the work you completed yesterday. I see you are also playing catch now, too. I remember reading that you threw a ball directly to one of your doctors several days ago, too. I'm supposed to be fixing supper for Wilbur, but decided I'd check on the blog first. hehe.

    That's neat they got you standing up yesterday. I'll bet that felt pretty good, at least for awhile. I'm anxious for Rommel to come see you again. He sure is a pretty thing!

    Keep up the good work!! Give ole Rommel a good scratch behind the ears for me when you see him again.

    Joyce and Wilbur

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to send my prayers and thoughts to Forrest and your family. My daughter Sarah Duda went to school with Forrest at Mercersburg and she told me about your blog. Please know that your boy is in our prayers and thoughts. He appears to be making excellent progress, no doubt to all of the support from loving family surrounding him and encouraging him every step of the way. May God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete