Saturday, February 12, 2011

Update:10:30pm on 2/12

After an uncomfortable night sleeping in his back brace (which he has to wear all night to prevent further damage to his spine when he becomes agitated and tries his best to pull himself out of bed) Forrest began the morning with his speech therapist, practicing swallowing and eating for the first time in over 4 weeks. He still has the tracheostomy in his wind pipe, so he has that obstacle to work around too. He did pretty well with a few spoon fulls of pudding and pureed eggs, but liquids run too easily down the wrong pipe, setting off a huge coughing spell and a battle for air. Pretty frustrating for a big hungry fella that loves bagel bites and red bull!

After the "meal" was over, I wheeled Forrest back to his room. At the entrance he reached out and stopped the wheel chair, pointing back to the gathering room. Okay, let's go back. We wheeled around the big space, which was eerily quiet on a Saturday morning, looking for something to entertain ourselves. I eventually found the equipment room full of activities, toys and exercise equipment. Rummaging around on the shelves I found a small white board and some markers. Back out in the big room I set us up at a table and began writing and drawing for Forrest. Names, animals, and places and talking about them. At one point, I wrote out my favorite title "Mum" and told him how I couldn't wait to hear him call me "Mum" again. He picked up another marker and added = drew a heart, circled the heart, and underlined "Mum"! Talk about a wonderful Valentine! After I caught my breath, we talked and drew some more and then I asked him, "Forrest, if you could see a friend from home right now who would it be?" He picked the marker back up and wrote Sarrh! (There's no doubt about who he meant... Sarah WB, one of his closest friends since 3rd grade) As hard as Forrest is working, what else could we do but call Sarah and get her on a plane! See ya tomorrow, Sarah!

Love to all,

Mum

Mom wrote "Mum" and he drew the rest!














Forrest listening to Sarah's voice on the phone

13 comments:

  1. Hi Forrest!
    As Kermit and Fozzie sing it in The Muppet Movie, you're...

    Movin' right along in search of good times and good news,
    With good friends, you can't lose,
    This could become a habit.

    It's great to read about the progress you're making! Have fun tomorrow with your visit from Sarah!

    With love,
    Dan Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Team Forrest,

    It sounds like things are just going great. You all put so much love & effort into what you are doing. It is so inspiring to read each day. And Forrest, you are just really blowing my mind the way you do something to surprise everyone each and every day! May God continue to bless all of you.

    Love, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda Rae, I must say that huge tears came to my eyes when I read this post!!! What better for a mother than to hear her son say "I love you" and the method doesn't matter,,,,, said, written, or drawn, it all is beautiful!

    Austin, I got a card for you and before I could mail it, my new puppy, Annie ate the corner of it, so when you get it in the mail, know that it is not only from me but also, Annie is sending her regards in puppyese.

    Forrest, I have another story to tell on you, but I will send it in another post. Hang in there, it sounds like you are doing great!!!
    Love,
    Jessiann

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic Valentine's Day present!

    Have a wonderful visit with Sarah, Forrest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am teary-eyed reading about Forrest's wonderful Valentine to his Mum. It feels good to hear, "I love you" from our kids however they can say it to us. That was wonderful, Forrest, and I know your mom will treasure that moment forever. It is very encouraging, too, to read about your interest in more activities. We are all so thrilled to see you returning to your family and your life. Upward and onward!
    Sending Valentine hugs and kisses,
    Diane and Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, You gave Mum a powerful gift Forrest! Happy Valentines Day, and have fun with Sarah! Austin, your love and attention does not surprise me one bit. Love and Hugs from Rabbit Hill!! Barbara, Chris, Kendra and Claudia XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am part of the tearful crowd - blown away by those beautiful letters on the white board! So much to be grateful for - I'm sure that you, Forrest, at times are so frustrated it may not seem like that is the case, but every day there is more and more good news - little steps, big steps, but seems like mostly huge strides are being made by you!!We are so glad. We continue to admire the strength, love, and support of Team Forrest and send our love to all of you, The Shermans

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!!

    Kent is in trouble. He has to figure out how to top that Valentine.

    The Selfes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Forrest, what an amazing gift to your Mum! Happy Birthday Rae! If we got teary eyed, I can only imagine the pride and love you felt.

    Forrest, enjoy your day with Sarah.

    Gaby (QGM-California)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what great news tears came to my eyes when I read this one I can only imagine how wonderful this made you feel. Way to go Team Forrest!!! Sending good Karma as always. Much love, The Stephens

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Valentines Day, Forrest!
    What a wonderful gift for your Mum....clearly you are coming back to us :)
    Hope you enjoy your time with Sarah!

    Jennifer Mutchler

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!! is all I can say! And praise God for this amazing progress! We keep praying and reading every day and every Sunday my Sunday school girls and friends ask of Forrest's progress! I cannot imagine a more precious and perfect gift! Forrest is with you in mind, heart and spirit! So happy for all of you! Love and hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete