Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sharing A Few Forrest Moments

We received the note below from the Reilly family and wanted to share it here because it illustrates Forrest's spontaneous kindness that some people praying and hoping for his recovery are unaware of.

I remember once he and I (Kent) were going through an airport and I went to check something at the gate and then had to backtrack to find him. He had stopped to help a lady in a wheelchair who had no one to assist her. He not only helped but then sat down and talked with her for 5 or 10 minutes. Not a lot of young boys could be pulled away from their iPhones long enough to see a problem, much less talk long enough to make the other person comfortable. He is and continues to be someone I'm proud to know and daily throughout his life he has made his family and friends better people by his example.
We got a call late last night from our daughter Lauren, a student at Mercersburg. The students got the word about your son on Monday evening. She is a big fan of his and so are we. When we all were staying at the Mercersburg Inn the night before the first day of school (Lauren's first day ever there), many students looked at her, walked by and never even said "hi". She was already nervous and that didn't help. Your son was different - he shook her hand, welcomed her, let her know it was going to be a great year. This coming from your son, then "opened the gates" - the other students then saw this act of kindness and relaxed and talked with her. That night she was on cloud nine - an upperclassman talked to her and according to her, he was also "cute" - a bonus!!!

Forrest is a winner and will continue to win over this battle he is in right now. He was an "angel" for our family that night and the piles of prayers going his way will bring healing angels to his bedside. We pray for you and your family in addition to Forrest - it will happen, he will get better and continue on strong.

The Reilly Family (Lauren, Charlotte and Frank)

8 comments:

  1. Forrest (Bosque) & family,
    Please know that we, at the del Real clan, are praying for your recovery and peace in your hearts. Many of us here at the Academy miss your smiling and energetic nature, and know you are in good hands. May His Peace shine in your heart.

    ~Gonzalo "Profe" del Real

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kent, Rae, Forrest, and Austin ,
    While the recounting of Forrest's kindness are touching, they do not surprise me. And now the collective power of his goodness is coming back to you all ten fold. Namaste, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen Family - I do not know any of you personally, but have been a fan of Kent for a long time as a fellow veterinarian and eventer.I heard the news about your son last week and my heart sank for your family. My thoughts are with all of you for a speedy recovery for Forrest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Allan and Family, My name is Jeanette Cortes(cashier at Dank's Deli) just wanted to say we are praying for the fast recovery of Forest and for the whole family. I know soon this will be an episode in the past. I'm so glad he is doing better. Even though you guys dont know me personally, I remember every time forest came in the deli, he always had a smile and he was also so polite with everyone. Hopefully with the help of God forest is going to be Home again and back to normal activity. My family and I will continue to pray for everyone. I work at Trinity Episcopal Church at the nursery and I verry happy there was a prayer yesterday. Thankyou for keeping us posted on forest recovery. I will keep checking back to know about his progrees.
    My thought are with everyone,
    Jeanette Cortes-Arellano
    Marshall VA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kent, Rae and Austin,
    I just got word about Forrest's accident. I am praying for strength, stamina and indomitable optimism for you all, and I thank God for how he is providing for your needs--excellent, compassionate medical care and loving, practical help from family and friends. Celebrate each small success and don't stop believing in miracles. They happen. Our son Dan is Forrest's age. Maybe you remember Dan's accident (March 15, 1998) and his coma that followed. Walking through that time with him left us forever changed. Things change in a moment, and each day is a precious gift.

    Hi Forrest,
    I would not count on you remembering who I am: one of your Dad and Mom's many "vet friends". Although we reconnected briefly at the WEG, I knew you best when you were a "little kid". Your family had recently moved to Middleburg, and your Dad was busy with the Sidney Olympics. I drove in from Pennsylvania and stayed at your house for a few days each week to treat horses at the "new" clinic. You and Austin had recently gotten a trampoline, and each visit was an opportunity for you guys to out-jump me. Your supremacy was never in doubt-I didn't have a chance.
    Just wanted to tell you that I am praying for your recovery and trusting in God's plan for you.
    with love and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kent, Rae, and Austin

    I just wanted to let you know that many of us at Hill School follow this post closely, and we are thinking of you and Forrest. I certainly know that I have learned enough about Forrest's past from this web site to embarrass him in all sorts of interesting ways when he wakes up. Whenever I think of Forrest, which is often, I think of his smile, sense of humor, and easy charm. I am looking forward to seeing him, not only soon when he is feeling better, but also when he is an adult and he returns to Hill to give me a hard time, too. So my thoughts are with you all, and please tell Forrest I am thinking of him. Oh, and Austin, hi to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    Doing alot of praying for him. I wanted you to know all the cast of Giggles at VSA is praying for him. He affected so many people last summer giving to our cast. I remember how he treated everyone with love and respect and do they. they loved him. I will be back in town after this weekend and would be honored to come up there sometime when you feel appropriate and bring live music to him. Id love to sing for him anytime Mr. Sweitzer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Forrest!!
    So tonight I was driving and I saw a kid ride by on a bicycle with the exact same north face winter hat you had and the lyrics on the radio said, "But I'm always thinking of you, Cause when somebody loves you, That's what they do." I think of you every single day and miss you and your red pants, patagonias, fast food, silly comments, analysis in english class and so many more.

    I hope you got all the cards some of the girls and I made for you this weekend! Sorry if you think they are strange, but we wanted you to laugh and be happy when you wake up.

    I can't wait to see you! I love you!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete