Friday, January 21, 2011

Update: 8:00pm on 1/21

At 5:40 PM tonight Forrest opened his eyes for the first time. It was just a for a split second. He was coughing a little, but he definitely moved his legs and then he squeezed my hand oh so briefly. I know we have a long way to go, but he's there and he's on his path back to us. I've missed him so desperately. He's sleeping again now and still fighting the fever. They have his "NINJA turtle shell" back brace on now full time. They were able to put the bed up a bit for the first time earlier today, now that he has the brace on, which will help prevent pneumonia. Most importantly the brace helps protect his spine as he wakes up. The doctors all keep reminding us that there are no guarantees and that this could take months. Then again, they don't know our Forrest. SO, I keep reminding the doctors that he might just come up swinging any time now…

We had a meeting midday with the Neurology Department "head". He's a wonderful Doc and a very caring soul. He has 10 year old twins himself, so he gets it. He reassures us that at this stage, every day without complications is a good day. And he feels like Forrest is progressing as they expect him to right now. I finally got up the courage to ask him if Forrest had been wearing his helmet, would we be in a different place today. He was quiet for a moment and replied thoughtfully, "we ALWAYS want them to wear their helmets, and they should… but his helmet would not have been able to prevent the kind of brain injury Forrest has." He explained that helmets may protect the brain from a direct blow or a fall on ice. But his helmet wouldn't have prevented the brain contusion and swelling caused by the sudden deceleration from speed to a complete stop when he hit the fence. Somehow that makes me feel a little better tonight.

Friday night. I know he loves hanging with his friends on. Austin and I are on watch tonight. We're taking turns holding his hand and reading all your funny cards and heartfelt messages to him. So even though he isn't able to have you over just yet, you are all with him tonight on his journey home to us.

As his Hill School teacher Debbie Sharples reminds us all when she wrote in her note to Forrest… "Remember Forrest, Slow and Easy Wins the Race"…. He's on his way, Mrs Sharples…slow and easy he'll win this race….

Love to All,

Rae & Austin

16 comments:

  1. What a week...I'm exhausted so I can't imagine how everyone there feels. Hang in there.

    We're excited about the progress and will continue to pray for healing for Forrest and peace for all of you.

    Troy, Jessica and Camden Lauterbach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rae, Kent, Austin and family,
    Your courage and everything are so amazing to me! You are all in our thoughts and prayers every day. I love reading your updates and appreciate so much the time each one of you take to keep all of us up to date. I have this vision in my mind everyday of Forrest waking up and looking at everyone and saying "Hey, what's going on?" with a big huge smile on his face. Thinking of all of you. Lots of hugs and prayers from Mary and the rest of the Looney family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Rae! Kent! Austin! Forrest!
    Caroline came flying up the hallway and screeched to halt in front of my office to tell me the news. I am so happy to read tonight's post.
    It doesn't matter how long it takes; it just matters that Forrest is here and on his way back.
    We're thinking of you constantly and sending hugs, prayers, optimism, strength, patience, confidence, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah for you Forrest. Keep up the good work. We love the slow and steady plan--always smart. We can't tell you how thrilled we are to see that you opened your eyes even it was brief! A good start for sure. Love you Uncle Ron and Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful milestone! Am so happy to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy and excited to hear that he opened his eyes for a moment, and Rae what a feeling would you have felt when he squeezed your hand today, my heart was pounding when I read that, hang in there, he is re covering rapidly, it was just a week from today right?

    Love you guys
    Hazel and James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise the Lord! Rae I can't imagine how you felt at 5:40 this afternoon. I cried tears of joy as I read your post. I sent Austin an email this morning to his facebook which I hope he'll share with you. We love you all and are praying for Forrest and each of you. Thank you for allowing each of us to be a part of this journey with you. Owen and Chloe send their love and prayers as well.

    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rae - Steve and I just went out to walk the dogs. It is bitter cold and strangely quiet on this still, chilly MI night. As we walked down the street, Steve looked up and said "wow, look at that full moon, that's something special...". I stopped in my tracks and recalled Dr. A's post from the morning, and then Grandma Norma's. I told Steve about the stories they posted and said I have to come home and write to you about this somewhat strange moment when time seems to stand still and you think maybe there is a sign in there somehwere. I came in and got on the computer straight away - and to my surprise read this amazing news. Slow and steady, with quiet confidence. That will be Forrest's way. Yes indeed. Try to get some rest tonight, knowing he is on his way back to you. Much love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must have been JJ's elephant/rhino joke that turned the tide. It certainly made me roll my eyes!

    We appreciate your detailed and thoughtful updates when we know this whole situation is incredibly hard for you. It's so kind of you to take the time to keep us all informed. We are so encouraged with tonight's report.

    I couldn't post yesterday's flower pictures on the blog, but Forrest would probably have preferred that I post pics of the cute snowbunnies at this resort anyhow!

    We hope tomorrow brings new progress (and good jokes).

    Love, Diane and Jay

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so happy to hear your wonderful news. I pray that each day will bring more good news and soon Forrest will be smiling and talking. Please know that we all are with you in thoughts and prayers and look forward to more good news...... baby steps are wonderful!
    Love, Betsy, Mark & Lauren Davis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kent,Rae and Austin! I am so sorry you are going through this. I always remember teaching Forrest and Austin to jump at cara in Arizona. Both boys so brave! I hoping for the best outcome possible. Thank you so much for the blog. -gilly slayter-voigtlander

    ReplyDelete
  12. How's Forrest?
    Within minutes of Lilli's descent down the steps this morning that's what she asked. Lilli is Owen's little sister (age 6) and she is keenly aware of our concern and prayers and now she has her own for Forrest. So, we all start our day wondering the same thing and praying for continued healing. Hoping you had a restful night and looking forward to your news today.

    with love, The Barkley & The Looney Gang

    ReplyDelete
  13. THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!!!!! My heart skipped a beat when I read that Forrest opened his eyes!! Just one of many signs of hope that you were looking for - and his timing was perfect. All of us who thought of your family this evening and asked for a positive sign today had those prayers answered. We had special prayers for Forrest at Trinity Church, and will continue to do so. You are not alone. Like so many others we check your blog daily for updates and are appreciative that you find time to share Forrest's progress.
    PS Tell Forrest that he can rest easy since Mr. S DID NOT assign any history essays this weekend (one thing he may be happy to miss out on!) Highland School misses you!
    Love, Linda, Frank, Steve, Grant and Austin Salley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Hooray for Forrest! This is such exciting news. I'm so happy to read this post. Slow and steady or up and swinging we just want Forrest back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning Rae & Kent,

    Giovanni has been providing us with up to the minute updates on Forrest. We are so glad to hear about the forward progress! We are in tears to hear of this and our hearts goes out to you all. We know how hard things are right now but we are praying you will not give in to despair. Believe that God's love love is with you, no matter what. There is nowhere you can go where you will be separated from his concern for Forrest; His love surrounds him even in the darkest night, the coldest winter storm. We am praying that you all will feel his arms of love holding you tight against his heart.

    Dean & Leslye DeSantis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dr. Allen, Dr. Stone, Austin, and Family,

    I was so happy to read that Forrest opened his eyes and is making good progress!! Your updates are beautiful, touching, and always bring tears to me eyes. Please know that Forrest, and all of you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Forrest is so lucky to have such a wonderful and loving family ... and I know that he will come back to all of us!!

    Sending lots of love, warm wishes and positive vibes!!

    Veronica Feigel xoxo

    ReplyDelete