Saturday, January 29, 2011

Update: 11:30pm on 1/29

Hi All,

Thanks again for all of your prayers and thoughts. Grueling day for everybody today but with good results. Forrest had Austin, Aunt Trisha and Susan Fitter Sloane have daytime shifts and Austin and Trisha right back on all night duty. Forrest still having some lung problems but hanging in there. Our boy sat up for two hours plus in the chair and is still off the respirator but on supplemented O2 thru the Trach tube. He shows a bit more response every day and continues to try. A couple friends will see him for a very short period of time tomorrow and he will see a Therapy Dog briefly tomorrow. This is all news to most of the people on Neuro ICU, where this rarely happens but they have embraced the fact they have a Rock Star in their midst and have been very accommodating.

The other news is after Stan Sloane flew us down to Shepherd Rehabilitation Center in Atlanta today. We are applying to get Forrest transferred there for the finish of his acute care and rehab. It is an amazing place that only deals with brain injury and spinal cord injury and treats largely people in Forrest's age range with incredible success. If the Doc's at UVA say he is ready to go, this could happen as early as next week. We are saddened that he will be away from many of his friends but we feel that this will give him the best chance for recovery which is the bottom line. Mom and Austin will probably stay down with him and I will get down as often as possible.

Don't worry, the blog isn't going away, this is just the first lap of a long race and we will need all of you to help pull Forrest thru, even if it is from a distance.The quote of the day appropriately is from the Bette Middler song "From a Distance":
 "It's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves.
This is the song of every man.
And God is watching us, God is watching us,
God is watching us from a distance."
Please watch your boy Forrest from a closer distance, God, because some of the rest of us will be further away.We all hope and pray he continues to recover.
Dad

10 comments:

  1. Nicely said, Dad. What a team you all are. Aunt Lynn PS. I made need to make some changes on my airline ticket, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bette Middler is right, God is watching us from a distance. But he is also close at hand--in your very midst and working on your behalf (Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." Read the rest of it, it's good...)Wonderful to hear that your stamina is increasing, Forrest. The future will be hard, but Atlanta sounds like a great place for you to make a strong recovery. Holding you in our hearts, and praying from a distance,

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are with you all and we continue to pray for Forrest and your family. I can tell you a story of hope: it was me when I was 16, a car accident landed me in shock trauma (u of md) with spinal fractures from t-12 right down through the sacrum, multiple pelvic fractures, a crushed chest and paralysis. God was watching me and He is watching Forrest. Dr. Allen was there for me and gave me hope last year. He all but got out the rubber chicken to help my mare! We love him and we are sending you all hope, love and prayers.
    Naomi and David Parry
    Everyone at MTR is in the prayer circle for Forrest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Forrest..

    Your Uncle Clarence and I returned a few days ago from a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia with 30 Centre College students. We lit candles and burned incense for you in churches and Buddhist temples every where we went. At Angkor Wat, a thousand-year-old Buddhist temple in Cambodia, we climbed to the top and had prayer cords tied to our wrists and blessed by a Buddhist monk in your honor. Many students who had heard about your accident did the same. The circle of light surrounding you with love and prayer and hope continues to reach around the world. I know you feel that powerful positive energy, not only from the people present with you, but also from so many who can't be there, yet who hold you in their hearts and thoughts every waking moment. We know that you are following that powerful light back to all of us who love you.

    With love,
    Aunt Lobie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Forrest,
    So glad to hear of the progress you are making. Wishing you all the love,strength, courage and patience needed on your journey to recovery.You and your family are in our hearts, thoughts and prayers.
    Julie, Dan and Mac Malone

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey forrest!
    the Chapman family is praying for you! i know you were such a good leader at Hill and i am sure you will have a great recovery! Greer and I are thinking about you!
    Get better soon!
    Louise Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rae and Kent-My name is Cindy and I'm a veterinarian whose classmate (Monica Chapman) is one of your neighbors. I had a TBI in '93 and wish to offer any assistance that might benefit Forrest's recovery. It looks like he is doing exceptionally well and that you have gathered tremendous resources, including an amazing community. Please feel free to contact me: csrigg@yahoo.com, should you think of anything that I might share to further his progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not had the honor of meeting you Forrest, but I feel like I do know you now after reading your blog. I go on every day to check your progress and am constantly sending good thoughts your way! We are all rooting for you!
    Kelly Pugh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forrest you have brought together such a large communnity. Many of us do not know you personally but we are praying for you and your family. Your journey just proves that we are all conected to each other on this incredible ride. We are all watching over you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forrest, Austin, Kent, and Rae,

    So wonderful to hear the amazing progress being made. Obviously, you are a strong person, Forrest, and you have a strong family behind you as well as many, many of us who are praying and avidly following your journey back. Here are some encouraging words for all of you: Excerpts of Psalms 139, The Book translation.

    O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit or stand. When far away you know my every thought. You chart the path ahead of me, and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment, you know where I am. You both precede and follow me, and place your hand of blessing on my head,

    This is too glorious, too wonderful to believe! I can never be to lost to your Spirit! I can never get away from my God! If I ride the morning winds to the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, your strength well support me. If I try to hide in the darkness, the night becomes light around me. For even darkness cannot hide from God; to you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are both alike to you.

    You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body, and knit them together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous--and how well I know it. You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion! You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your Book!

    How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can't even count how many times a day your thoughts turn toward me. And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me!

    We love you and are praying for each of you.

    A. Shirley and Uncle Gareld

    ReplyDelete