Saturday, January 22, 2011

Update: Early morning on 1/22

Forrest, I'm sitting here by your bed at 4 AM. You are resting quietly gathering strength for the big moment when you'll come back to us which I am confident you will do once you are ready.

I have been thinking about the road ahead for you after you wake up. Though you have lots of friends and family that you can count on to help you, it won't be easy. There are enemies lurking out there that will try to make you give up hard earned ground. Your family and many friends will be there to cover your flanks but you will have to fight the enemy attacking to your front. Despite the difficulties you will face I am completely confident you will succeed. How do I know? Well, I remember one event in particular that made a big impression on me at the time and I think says a lot about your tremendous confidence and tenacity.

When you were about six years old I was several months into my tour at Headquarters Marine Corps and it just so happened that I was to receive an award for actions during a previous tour. Your mom brought you and Austin to the ceremony. My boss was a big tough ruddy faced Marine Brigadier General and it was his job to present the award. At the appointed time, all my peers and coworkers filed into the room. It finally was filled up with hard faced Marines. The family was introduced to the general. He then greeted each family member in turn and got to you last. I remember you had on a little blazer and a "101 Dalmatians" tie. The general, wearing a chest full of decorations, bent down to you and tapped you on your tie with his finger and said, "I like your tie young man!" Well, that would be frightening to most kids... a big unfamiliar adult with a powerful voice getting right down in their face. Most kids would look away from something so frightening or hide behind their mother's leg. Not you Forrest. Without a bit of hesitation you popped him right on the nose with a left jab very clearly communicating that he had gotten in your space. He grabbed his nose and sort of jerked upright. I remember there was a collective gasp followed by dead silence. But after a moment the general laughed and then whole room burst out laughing too. It was certainly a unique ice breaker. You always knew how to make an entrance.

So, even at six years old, when you felt threatened you did not run away or falter or hesitate to act. You confidently stood your ground and defended yourself. That is just one of many reasons why I know you will succeed. When the going gets tough Forrest, i know you will stand your ground and defend yourself... and keep your eye on the prize. Besides, failure is simply not an option.  

Love,
Uncle John

9 comments:

  1. The comment below is from Marcia W.:

    Forrest,

    After visiting you and seeing your room yesterday, I was amazed to see how many friends are sending well wishes, and the pictures are a wonderful celebration of all the interesting things you are doing with your life. So I was just thinking how did you make so many friends, and then I remembered, “To have a friend, you need to be a friend.” Of course, with your whimsical smile and the mischievous twinkle in your eye, it is so easy for you to make friends. And so you have. But it is more, you know how to have fun and not take life too seriously. Of course sometimes we worry that you don’t take it seriously enough. But I’m sure you are thinking there are so many people who take life too seriously, and I am not going to be one of them. That is why we all enjoy being around you. You keep a smile on everyone’s face. AND who wouldn’t want to be friends with someone who can do that?

    I am enjoying the daily blog that keeps all of your friends informed and engaged in your progress. I know you will be bowled over when you are able to read it yourself. Get well quickly, we need your smile to brighten our days, and your mischief to keep us intrigued.

    We miss you a lot.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Forrest that Uncle John story this morning made me say out loud "oh no you didn't..". But he is right, you know how to defend yourself and you are fighting back. Keep at it and we will see you soon.
    Bundles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forrest,

    I am a Staff Assistant in the office of Undergraduate Affairs at the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke. Before leaving Bermuda in 2007 I worked for three years as the Photographer and Guest Services Coordinator in DQB. Another former DQB staffer sent me the link to your blog. I doubt you remember me, but I came and stayed at your house one time while meeting the QGM staff and buying some t-shirts for the gift shop. I remember you. You were cute, smart and funny. You were also a handful for your Mom. I was nervous and feeling quite out of my element in your amazing home despite your Mom and Dad's gracious and welcoming ways. One thing that has stuck with me most about that visit is that I made some correctional, motherly comment to you (well,I have a daughter your same age!)that I immediately realized was totally out of place. Who the heck did I think I was? I wanted to dig a hole in the ground and crawl into it.
    Well, five years later I want to let you know that I admire you, I am cheering for you, and I am praying for you. I need to redeem myself, so please get better soon and come to visit Duke! I will take you around the campus and introduce you to Deans and Professors if you like. Contact me at mjb43@duke.edu. I don't know what area of study you plan to pursue, but what ever it is I know you will be successful.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forrest,
    It's about time you opened your eyes! Even if only for a split second. I know you're a quick study given how quickly you've adjusted to your life at Highland. You knew we needed a sign from you, and I'm glad you delivered. I hope by now you've gotten our banner. Everyone here still talks about you and can't wait to see you.
    I thought you'd be interested to know that you're not the only Highland family member at the UVA hospital. Mrs. DeBoer is there on the eighth floor; she delivered her baby boy yesterday. He's a little guy, but I bet he'll be just the fighter you are. Think of the party we can have when both you and he come out the other end!
    Until then, know that I think of you often and send you all the positive energy I can muster.

    Cassin Bertke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forrest we all miss you SO MUCh! I had a dream about you last night. We were inschool hanging out just like always and everything was back to normal. I was so confused that you were there because of the whole accident thing and you were like "oh I'm fine Em. Do you really think that silly accident would keep me away from school?" at first i just looked at you with confusion but then I thought and was like "Oh well duhhh he's at school. He's Forrest!" I woke up from my dream knowing that you'd be back at school with us soon. LOVE YOU! Keep fightin' :)

    Emily Dods

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forrest we sent some pictures to your aunt so she can post them for you to see when you wake up. We are looking forward to many more fun vacations with you and your family like the one we were on in Hawaii in the picture with one of your mom's very sweet dolphins. I think her name was Paylae (sp) if memory serves me well.
    We continue to pray for you!
    Love,
    The Selfes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just sent a comment to Rae's dolphin e-m because we're having trouble posting comments on the blog. I'm still trying--We said something like "If Forrest can punch a general in the nose at six years old, there will be no question of his recovering from this accident!"
    We go on every am first thing to check on Forrest--the slideshow is amazing, I can't wait until he sees it. Stay strong.Love, hope and prayers are coming your way from the Wofford family.

    xoxo Jim and Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. The full moon in San Diego was wished upon like a star last night. Took my 8 pound dog for a walk under the moon just to wish you a speedy and full recovery. Pam Chauvin, Grandma of your dad's patient, Katchi----------who is doing fantastic thank to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, check this blog first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Punching the general in the nose, eh? Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete