Sunday, January 23, 2011

Update: 11:30am on 1/23

Yet another early morning with Forrest. Early morning never used to describe his or my schedule, but here we are together. Austin took the midwatch and Uncle John the late watch. His vitals are stable at the moment and in times like this I am reluctant to disturb him in any manner. He has started movement and elevated temperatures and agitation that is called "storming activity". It manifests in muscular movements similar to mild seizures and profuse sweating and elavated heart rates and blood pressure and temperatures. It is worrisome to watch but is evidently a phase the brain goes thru as it tries to regain control of his body. We are told his version of it so far is mild, but could get worse before it gets better. Hopefully it will pass soon.

They continue to slowly back off the anesthetic and pain relief drugs but that is slowed or has to be reversed if the storming activity is significant. A concern at this point continues to be pneumonia and the irritation from the tubes in his throat. If things continue on an even course, with only mild storming activity, he may get a tracheostomy Monday. This would allow him to have his breathing tube moved down to below his adam's apple and get most of the tubes out of his throat and nose, which I think he would appreciate. The fever is being fought with advil and a cooling blanket that currently has his temp down to 38 Celsius or 100.5 F. It has been considerably higher than this but is somewhat cyclic and appears to be associated with the storming activity. He has moments when his arm movement and eyes are open that seem much more purposeful than random muscle activity. He has yet to respond to commands in a repeatable purposeful way. But then he is still on a lot of meds and he never did what I told him to do anyway! Just kidding!

On the non-medical front, we are amazed at the friends and family and well wishers who follow and especially post on his blog. Thanks also for the tons of cards, banners and food that you all have sent (updated picture of the wall from Forrest's perspective below). Sometimes we are so focused on Forrest and his care that we don't pay attention to anything else and the alternating shifts can be grueling. Then we read the blog and the cards and emails and are uplifted by the support, stories, prayers and care that is out there for Forrest and keep keeping on. Thank you Ted for the book and paper weight with Winston Churchill's message, "When you are going thru Hell....KEEP ON GOING! We are all marching thru it together and with Forrest's strength and your support and prayers we are going to march out the other end and look back at it and say to Forrest look how tough you are and how many people love you.

On a more pragmatic note, if any of Forrest's buddies know his passwords to his phone or computer, we would really appreciate knowing that. The pictures, messages and contacts on his phone and computer will help Forrest regain his memories and reconnect with all of you. Please pass along password suggestions to Dad or Austin's email. Dad is kallendvm@aol.com Austin is a.asalle@gmail.com. You can also send any pics you want posted to Austin.

Dad

6 comments:

  1. Will pray that the 'storming' will pass soon. That has got be difficult for you to watch. Brain function never ceases to amaze me.

    I'm hoping that you and your family can get a few moments of relief and solace in the sunshine where you can 'recharge' for a bit. Take care of yourselves.

    Please let me know what I can do for you. Kathy -- karianohome@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kent,Rae,Austin......and of course Forrest.... We like so many others, check in daily for the latest. So glad to hear about the progress. I'm sure it seems so painfully slow, but the small changes are milestones that have to be reached. Many people here in Wellington are pulling for you Forrest, and we try to update those who are asking. Many many prayers are coming your way! Keep the news coming......and we will keep the good wishes and prayers coming back! All our love, Rick and Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kent, Rae, Austin, and Forrest,
    I think all our emotions are "storming" right along with you, Forrest, as we think of all of you and this tough journey in which you are engaged. There are so many hurdles still ahead but you have already conquered many. You are constantly in our thoughts.

    When Forrest was about eight, he and I went on a walk around Brightwood one fall. He demonstrated the trampoline, pointed out the places where he had spotted deer, and then took me to the Hole of the Giant Snake. He told me a long story about the enormous python that emerged at times to slither through the trees and that guarded his fort. It was his personal snake, visible only to him, but he gave a very vivid description to be sure that I would be sufficiently cautious when visiting his home. Since we used to have a large pet boa constrictor and I am a natural science teacher, I loved the story and my detailed questions kept us engrossed in conversation for a long time. I am looking forward to the reemergence of his lively imagination and creativity!

    May The Force be with you as the healing process continues.

    Diane and Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forrest, I forgot to ask you what happened when the dog went to the flea circus?

    He stole the show, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Forrest,

    Have you felt my meditations? I've been working the thought waves a good bit these past few months, and you've been included in them everyday since your accident. Packard and I think about you and your entire family constantly and send positive energy and prayers your way. The stories and comments on the blog are wonderful. They show the spunky spirit that is going to get you through this.

    When you were around 10 years old, your Mom threw one of her awesome croquet parties when we had some DQ crew members visiting. You, Packard, Billy Hurley and who knows else were on one team. I was on the other. I don't know what had transpired, but the three of you were definitely "having words" about something. It was you against Billy and Packard. I have a vivid picture of the profiles of the three of you backlit by the setting sun, shoulders thrust back, jaws jutting forward in argument. It doesn't matter what it was about (Packard's clueless), but I remember chuckling to myself as a watched from across the yard. Young Forrest held his own and managed to threaten the equilibrium of two of the strongest willed men I know. It is that awesome spirit that I see at work now as you fight to come back to your loved ones.

    Take good care, all of you in Charlottesville.
    Forrest, I can't wait to hear if you remember what really happened that day at Brightwood.

    You can bet there will be candle lit in Lincoln tomorrow evening.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kent, Rae, Austin and Forrest,
    I have been thinking of you all since I heard news of Forrest's accident. I am embarassed to admit had myself in a total tizzy this weekend because I kept going to update the blog and there were no new updates! It scared the bejeesus out of me and I was sick with worry. Finally, being the techno wizard that I am, realized I was on the page view for one update and not the main blog page. DUH.

    We loved seeing you in the Hill School play a few years ago and are enjoying the slide show that is being played on this blog. What an amazing family.

    My favorite Forrest story was when you were about 5 years old, I had my horse at Dr. Allen's for an appointment. Forrest, you were outside the barn with a rake and my horse started grazing right near you. When you got very close to his eye with your "raking", I said, "Forrest, be careful, don't get too close to his eye, you might hurt him" and you said, "yeah but I can just say it was an accident." ;-) Very astute even at a young age. Well, this is just an accident and I'm sure you are fighting your way back to us to add to all the wonderful stories on this blog.

    All my thoughts and prayers are with you all,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete